The exact beginning of Treherne is hard to pinpoint as early records are non-existent, due to fires, but according to information that is still around, a post office, blacksmith shop and a boarding or stopping house were here in 1881.
Then the railroad came to the community around 1886 and the town built a pump house and water tower, as well as
the first station which served as the foreman's house.
Treherne has had its share of fires as well. In 1890, on April 28th, the block from Broadway to Griffin Street was
wiped out by fire. On September 28th, 1898, the second disaster came when the block from Broadway to
Smith Street was destroyed and more recently in 1999 an almost 100 year old Hotel/Bar/Restaurant burnt on Main Street.
In most cases the buildings destroyed were replaced as soon as possible.
Over time the town has seen growth with a hotel, school, grain warehouse, elevators, flour mill, church,
grocery and dry goods stores, hardware store, drug store and livery barn. Then came the lumber yard, creamery,
skating rink, curling rink, nursing home and small hospital.
Since then many other growths, hardships and community events have shaped the community that exists today.